[xml/sgml] xml-core? and web page stuff

Ardo van Rangelrooij debian-xml-sgml-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 20:03:54 -0600

Mark Johnson (mrj@debian.org) wrote:
> On Friday, November 7, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
> >
> > I prefer to have a clear seperation between the Makefile that comes with the
> > upstream source and the debian/rules file.  The former deals with building
> > and installing, while the latter only deals with creating the package.  I've
> > taken over package without a Makefile where everything was done in the rules
> > file.  After the split into Makefile and rules file maintaining the package
> > became a breeze.
>
> Fortunately for XML/SGML resources (as opposed to more complex stuff
> like libxslt, and the stuff that Ardo maintains), there is no need for
> an external Makefile. It's simply a matter of editing and moving
> files, and registering the resources.

Not necessarily true.  I noticed in your docbook-slides debian/* files that you
had the version in several locations.  If you write a proper Makefile which puts
the stuff in the proper place through 'make install' then all you have in the
docbook-slides.install is 'usr' and you never have to touch that file again.
The version would be in the Makefile defined in a single location.  But then of
course you've moved the complexity into the Makefiles, but that's also the place
where it belongs.

And that's also what I meant by the clear seperation between Makefile and rules
files.  In your case you've implicitly moved the install of the files into the
rules file (actually in package.install) where in my opinion it belongs on the
upstream Makefile(s).  All the rules files should have to do is to pick up the
install results from the usr (usr/share) directory.

And adding a Makefile to the upstream source might even help others.

> In the above case, having a minimal rules file and a number of
> debhelper input files is much more maintainable.
>
> And so my inadequacies are exposed: I'm really more of a project
> manager-type than I am a programmer. Makes it hard to find a jobs
> sometimes:)

I'm a true hacker and proud of it. :-)

Thanks,
Ardo