[xml/sgml] Re: graphics Message

Mark Johnson mrj@debian.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:32:31 -0500

On Sunday, November 9, Philippe Batailler wrote:

> Hi all,
> As I told Mark, I am mainly involved in the debian-l10n-french project.
> And I am not a DD.
> So I am likely to be not very useful in collaborative maintenance!

Not necessarily so! For example, I've got a some packages
"arbortext-catalog" and "saxon-catalog" that are quite useful, but
"saxon-catalog" is riddled with bugs. You could, for example, fix some
of those. Similarly, IMHO, the docbook slides demo needs to be
packaged. You could package it and one of use could upload it.

> But I am interested in all the sgml-xml stuff. Maybe this project could
> accept "light" members like me?

I think we should accept anyone who's willing to contribute in a
useful way. But as Graham suggested, we may wanna consider them on a
case-by-case basis.

> Let me know if what you mean by "participate" implies to be a DD.

Not to me. There's plenty of non-dd stuff to do: e.g. Graham is
currently the "acting" webmaster, but I doubt he wants to hold on to
that job.

> I maintain a package, debiandoc2dbxml, a script which helps moving from
> debiandoc-sgml to docbook-xml. For the moment, all the files are in the
> debian-doc cvs. I think they would be better placed in this project
> cvs.

I agree. Seems to me the package should be kept on Alioth, esp since
you're the maintainer. (And that Ardo is the debiandoc-sgml dude.)

> And all of you could maintain and upload it in the archive.

Yeah, something like that would work. We still need to have more
discussion on actually implementing collective maintenance, but I
believe that will arise as needed.

Cheers,
Mark
--