[xml/sgml] package categories

Mark Johnson mrj@debian.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:39:30 -0500

On Sunday, November 9, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Given the large number of both already existing packages and prospective
> packages it probably is a good idea to categorize them.  The following
> categories come to mind:
>
>  - editors and editing environments (including emacs modes and such)
>  - schema's
>  - stylesheets
>  - catalog management tools & utilities
>  - transformation tools & utilities
>  - libraries (categorized per language)
>  - applications

Maybe a 'docs' category for the source files for policy stuff, guides, etc.

We could include schemas and stylesheets in a 'resources' directory,
since they really are xml resources. But maybe that'd be more
confusing then clarifying. Just a thought...

> That would probably cover everything.

Yep, that's a pretty exhaustive list, Ardo. Be best to reorganize cvs
now, while there are very few packages there (only mine, I believe).

> By the way, since we're apparently covering everything and not only stuff
> under /usr/share/sgml and /usr/share/xml; I'm also maintaining the following
> packages:
>
>  - expat
>  - libxmltok
>  - libxml-parser-perl
>  - libxml-encoding-perl
>  - libxml-catalog-perl

Phew! What are we gonna do with all this package info we've now
collected? (I can already see the homepage growing into a site:-)

My $0.02,
Mark

--
Mark Johnson        <mark@dulug.duke.edu>