[xml/sgml] package categories

Ardo van Rangelrooij debian-xml-sgml-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:09:56 -0600

Mark Johnson (mrj@debian.org) wrote:
> On Sunday, November 9, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Given the large number of both already existing packages and prospective
> > packages it probably is a good idea to categorize them.  The following
> > categories come to mind:
> >
> >  - editors and editing environments (including emacs modes and such)
> >  - schema's
> >  - stylesheets
> >  - catalog management tools & utilities
> >  - transformation tools & utilities
> >  - libraries (categorized per language)
> >  - applications
>
> Maybe a 'docs' category for the source files for policy stuff, guides, etc.

Good point, which also make the number of categories 8 (I have something with
numbers being a power of 2; never mind).

> We could include schemas and stylesheets in a 'resources' directory,
> since they really are xml resources. But maybe that'd be more
> confusing then clarifying. Just a thought...

Also, "schema's" probably should be called "DTD's and schema's", since not all
SGML DTD's are schema's.

> > That would probably cover everything.
>
> Yep, that's a pretty exhaustive list, Ardo. Be best to reorganize cvs
> now, while there are very few packages there (only mine, I believe).

Well, I was not talking about CVS here, but about the list of packages to be
put somewhere, somehow on the project's website, so that people can find what
there looking for more easily.  In CVS the current division with 'packages'
is fine, although I don't like it, since it requires updating CVSROOT/modules,
but I can live with it.

> > By the way, since we're apparently covering everything and not only stuff
> > under /usr/share/sgml and /usr/share/xml; I'm also maintaining the following
> > packages:
> >
> >  - expat
> >  - libxmltok
> >  - libxml-parser-perl
> >  - libxml-encoding-perl
> >  - libxml-catalog-perl
>
> Phew! What are we gonna do with all this package info we've now
> collected? (I can already see the homepage growing into a site:-)

The overview should contain links to the PTS, the BTS, the buildds, etc.
Basically, the first thing I would like to see is overview of all these
packages and links to all the appropriate places in the Debian datamine
for each package.  That way, we can easily track bugs and other issues.

Thanks,
Ardo
--
Ardo van Rangelrooij