[xml/sgml] separate mailing list for packages ???

Ardo van Rangelrooij Debian XML/SGML Group <debian-xml-sgml-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:14:35 -0600

Adam Di Carlo (adam@onshored.com) wrote:
> Ardo van Rangelrooij <ardo@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > While changing some of my package to have as 'Maintainer' the Debian XML/SGML
> > Group (and currently only me as 'Uploaders') it occured to me it might not be
> > a bad idea to create a separate mailing list for all the package issues (such
> > as new uploads, bug reports) in order to keep that traffic separate from the
> > "normal" traffic on the -devel mailing list.
> >
> > The address would simply be
> >
> >   debian-xml-sgml-pkg@lists.alioth.debian.org
> >
> > Any objections?  Any other thoughts?
>
> Is another list really necessary?  If someone wants notice of a
> package upload, they can use the PTS stuff.

Well, it's not so much for other people (which indeed can probably better use the
PTS stuff) but more ourselves.  People interested in what we're doing but not so
much interested in messages related to package uploads and bug reports would not
bothered with these latter messages if we redirect them to a separate mailing list.

The -devel list would then be like debian-devel (but hopefully without all the
nonsense that's usually on there) and the new -pkg list would be a combination
of debian-bugs-dist and debian-devel-changes.

It's just a thought...

Thanks,
Ardo
--