[xml/sgml] [RFS] libxml2 and libxslt new upstream

Jay Berkenbilt ejb@ql.org
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 16:37:53 -0400

Mike and I have both had to run svnadmin recover on the repository
from time to time.  I follow the protocol of copying the repository
first so if I screw up I have a reversion path.  (Details outlined in
an earlier message.)  I personally find the repeated need to do this
to be very alarming indeed, though I take some comfort in the fact
that it continues to work.  It has, in fact, prevented me from using
subversion in my work environment, though this may be an
overreaction.  I wonder how often svadmin dump is run on alioth.

It is interesting to note that Subversion 1.1.0 (for which there is a
release candidate) has an alternative filesystem-based back end.  I
only lightly follow subversion development though so I don't know
whether this was in response to Berkeley DB stability or something
else.  Before I switched to Debian, I was a Red Hat user.  I became
distrustful of Berkeley DB because my RPM database would get corrupted
from time to time and need to be recovered.  I'm not saying Berkeley
DB is bad -- I don't really know enough about it to jump to any
conclusions based on these errors, but I does at least make me a
little suspicious....

It's worth noting that the problem you've mentioned (DB error) is
different from what I've seen, which is that the client just hangs.

--Jay