[debian-yeeloong-project] root filesystem and fsck fail during initial boot

Michael Dorrington michael.dorrington at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 18:44:08 UTC 2011

On 23/11/11 15:43, Advrk Aplmrkt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've followed the wiki instructions
> (http://wiki.debian.org/DebianYeeloong/HowTo/Install#Squeeze_X) to
> install Wheezy on my new Lemote Yeeloong last night by downloading and
> using the latest files at:
>
> http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/mipsel/daily/loongson-2f/netboot/
>
> The installation went well, but during initial boot I get the
> following error during "Checking root file system...fsck from
> util-linux 2.19.1":
>
> /dev/sda5: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
> fsck died with exit status 4
>
> It then gave me the option to run fsck manually in the maintainence
> shell, but after running fsck I still get the same error upon
> reboot.....
>
> I tried reinstalling the whole system, both times using guided
> partitioning, but same problem.
>
> The only thing I did not explicitly specified in the HowTo is choosing
> the 3.1.0-1-loongson-2f kernel, but is this the problem?
>
> Please help, I am eager to get this to work.
>
> Thanks!!

Wheezy isn't released as stable yet and those daily install images may
well not work on any particular day.

You might like to try one or more of the following:

* Try again will the current available build as it might have been
  fixed.

* Submit a bug report on the failing wheezy loongson-2f install.

* Try to install squeeze instead.
  - http://wiki.debian.org/DebianYeeloong/HowTo/Install#Squeeze
  - If you want you can then upgrade to wheezy from the squeeze install.

* On the wheezy system when in the GRUB bootloader (or PMON?) add:
  fastboot
  to the kernel args line which will make Debian skip an fsck on boot.
  Not sure what whether this will result in booting into a working
  system though.

Regards,
Mike.