[debian-yeeloong-project] [loongson-dev] Graphic acceleration on Yeeloong anyone?

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 20:03:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 4:19 AM, s.boutayeb at free.fr <s.boutayeb at free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We managed to get the graphical desktop working in Debian/Wheezy,
> thanks to the upgrade of
> xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion_1.7.6-1loongson_mipsel.deb from [1].
>
> Does anyone got the graphic hardware acceleration working?
>
> My understanding is that the siliconmotion driver is supposed
> to enable the hardware acceleration. As a matter of fact, I got a
> poor result on the FFU FPT benchmark - assuming it may be used as a
> performance indicator - run from within hardinfo
>
> rgds
> samy
>
> [1] http://www.anheng.com.cn/loongson2f/wheezy/xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion
> /

The chip doesn't support many useful hardware acceleration features to
begin with, and XAA (an old acceleration architecture that sort of
accelerated things, sometimes) has since been removed from new X
servers.

The best thing you can do for graphical performance is to use pixman
with Loongson optimizations. See
http://mattst88.com/blog/2012/05/17/Optimizing_pixman_for_Loongson:_Process_and_Results/
for benchmark numbers. Since that article was published, more work was
done which improves web rendering performance. Use pixman-0.28.0.

But I've never tried my pixman code with o32 and frankly don't care if
it works at all because it's complete nonsense to care about
performance and also use o32. Advice #2: don't use an o32-ABI
distribution if you care about performance. Gentoo has n32/multilib
stage4s with pre-built Xfce available on our mirrors in
/experimental/mips/desktop-loongson2f/