[debpool] Re: Subversion repository up

Free Ekanayaka freee at debian.org
Wed Apr 11 08:07:07 UTC 2007

|--==> Magnus Holmgren writes:

  MH> On Wednesday 11 April 2007 01:59, Free Ekanayaka wrote:
  >>Thanks,   it  works   now    perfectly when  working    with  a single
  >>arch. However if I try a binary upload of package  which is already in
  >>the pool, but with another arch, I get this error:
  >>
  >>2007-04-11 01:57:32 [GENERAL/INFO] Processing changefile
  >>'vkeybd_0.1.17a-1_amd64.changes' 2007-04-11 01:57:32 [GENERAL/DEBUG]
  >>Version comparison for 'vkeybd': proposed version for sid (1:0.1.17a-1) is
  >>not greater than current version (1:0.1.17a-1) 2007-04-11 01:57:32
  >>[INSTALL/WARNING] Cannot install version 1:0.1.17a-1 of vkeybd to sid
  >>2007-04-11 01:57:32 [REJECT/ERROR] No valid distributions for version
  >>1:0.1.17a-1 of vkeybd 2007-04-11 01:57:32 [GENERAL/DEBUG] Exiting.

  MH> I've applied all the changes from Andreas's version pertaining to binary-only
  MH> uploads, so I think I'll let him answer... :-)

  MH> The thing is that there is only one version check. There would actually need
  MH> to be one version check per package and architecture. (Each binary package
  MH> can have a version completely different from the source, and each
  MH> architecture can have been rebuilt a different number of times.)

  MH> One question is how strict the checks should be. In addition to checking that
  MH> the version is increasing, we might want to check that a binary-only upload
  MH> doesn't change the upstream version of any binary package.

Yes, good question. Well, I think that how strict the check should be
is something that could be made configurable. Two or three degrees of
strictness could be allow, like

1) Accept a binary upload always and without condition
2) Accept a binary upload only if the upstream version matches
   the one of the source package currently in the archive
3) Accept a binary package only if both the upstream version and
   the Debian revision match the one of the source package currently
   in the archive (possibly allowing revisions with suffices
   like +b1, +b2 etc)

This is my first idea, I'm sure it has drawbacks :)

Free