[debpool] Does it make sense to convert to debpool now?

Magnus Holmgren holmgren at lysator.liu.se
Tue Apr 17 13:06:24 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 17 April 2007 12:49, Marc Haber wrote:
> [...] This goes
> without need to recompile and without need to reupload, it is just a
> change in the 00distlist file.
>
> For me, it is vital to have the distribution list sitting in the same
> directory as the package files.
>
> How would I handle an arrangement like this with debpool? Is it
> possible? If yes, would it be wise to use the version currently in
> experimental, or do I have to expect major changes in configuration
> when your first package is being uploaded?

There is still much to do before we have a meaningful distribution handling.
Right now the distributions are pretty much separate and there is merely code
to let them share files in the pool. Actually I'm not sure what happens if
somebody uploads different files with the same version, or files of the same
names but different content.

Information about which versions of which packages are in which distributions
and which segments (main, contrib, ...) is stored in an NDBM database, but
the metadata for the Packages and Sources files are in text files in the pool
directories. I don't know if this is a good idea. I think that we should
either put both in a database or both in one or more text files, and text
files have the distinct advantage of being editable using a text editor.

One question though: Does it happen that you have only some of the binary
packages from a certain source package in a certain distribution? Otherwise
it seems rather redundant (although I guess it could be how your program
knows what records to include in the Packages files.

Magnus Holmgren        holmgren at lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)