[debpool] Incoming features - debpool vs debarchiver

Daniel Leidert daniel.leidert.spam at gmx.net
Tue Apr 17 14:04:22 UTC 2007

Am Montag, den 16.04.2007, 18:21 +0200 schrieb Magnus Holmgren:
> On Monday 16 April 2007 17:51, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > I forwarded the discussion about debpool and debarchiver to you, Magnus.
> > In this discussion I brought up some disadvantages of debpool over
> > debarchiver in the incoming mechanism (Message-Id:
> > <1148074757.6423.9.camel at localhost>).
>
> For the rest of you, we're talking about overriding the distribution of a
> package by uploading it into a subdirectory of incoming/.

Yes. To cite the mail:

[..]
> There are 3 ways in debarchiver to put a package into a distribution
>
> (1) The package comes with a .changes file and the Distribution field
> inside this file fits the distribution, the package should be put in.
> Then we simply put it into incoming/. I think, I don't need to talk
> about examples for this situation.
>
> (2) The package comes with a .changes file and the Distribution field
> inside this file does not fit the distribution, the package should be
> put in. Then we put it into incoming/targetdist. Samples for this were
> e.g. the ATI Debian packages for fglrx or the Java packages created by
> java-package (both always had 'Distribution: experimental'). I know,
> that e.g. Java 5 is now part of Debian and that Flavio also creates
> official Debian packages and that there are probably just a few more
> cases of this kind. But it was also a way to simply "move" a package
> from one dist to another.
>
> (3) The packages comes without a .changes file and as binary-only.
> Then
> we put the binary into incoming/targetdist and it is sorted the right
> way.
[..]

> I haven't brought that up yet, but it looks like something DebPool should
> have. However, uploading .debs without .changes probably comes further down
> the road, since DebPool is currently triggered by the .changes files only.
> How does debarchiver know that a .changes file won't follow, except by
> assuming it if it hasn't been uploaded within a certain time limit?

Only packages matching $distinputcriteria in %distinputdirs are accepted
without a .changes file. So there is no try to catch a general case. If
the user set it to a general pattern, e.g.

$distinputcriteria = "^.*\\.deb\$";

then he had to make sure, that nothing obscure happened :)

Regards, Daniel