[debpool] Should Allow_Version distinguish different archs?

Magnus Holmgren holmgren at lysator.liu.se
Sat May 19 18:18:02 UTC 2007

On Saturday 19 May 2007 20:01, Free Ekanayaka wrote:
>   >>Bugs: We are not tracking versions of binaries per-arch, so all
>   >> binaries of the same name (but different archs) need to have the same
>   >> version.
>
> Mmh, what do you mean exactly? Of course if I upload foo_1.1_amd64 and
> foo_1.0_i386 is in the archive, I expect the former to be accepted.

What matters is the Version field in the .changes file (the "meta" version).
Binary packages can have versions differing from that (usually the main
Debian part of the version is the same, but the upstream version can differ
and there can be a +bN suffix for a binNMU). Currently, all binary packages
of the same name, architecture, and *source version* have to be of the same
binary version as well, otherwise the version of the last uploaded binary
package will overwrite the previous one and the previous version will be
deleted as obsolete.

If you upload foo_1.0_i386.changes with foo_1.0_i386.deb and corresponding
source, and later foo_1.1_amd64.changes with foo_1.1_amd64.deb, all will of
course be accepted.

A bigger problem is that all old packages will be removed (from all
architectures) as soon as one architecture gets a new version. Fixing that
requires a different approach, I think.

Magnus Holmgren        holmgren at lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)