[debpool] Should Allow_Version distinguish different archs?

Free Ekanayaka freee at debian.org
Sat May 19 18:29:35 UTC 2007

|--==> Magnus Holmgren writes:

  >>Mmh, what do you mean exactly? Of course if I upload foo_1.1_amd64 and
  >>foo_1.0_i386 is in the archive, I expect the former to be accepted.

  MH> What matters is the Version field in the .changes file (the "meta" version).
  MH> Binary packages can have versions differing from that (usually the main
  MH> Debian part of the version is the same, but the upstream version can differ
  MH> and there can be a +bN suffix for a binNMU). Currently, all binary packages
  MH> of the same name, architecture, and *source version* have to be of the same
  MH> binary version as well, otherwise the version of the last uploaded binary
  MH> package will overwrite the previous one and the previous version will be
  MH> deleted as obsolete.

  MH> If you upload foo_1.0_i386.changes with foo_1.0_i386.deb and corresponding
  MH> source, and later foo_1.1_amd64.changes with foo_1.1_amd64.deb, all will of
  MH> course be accepted.

  MH> A bigger problem is that all old packages will be removed (from all
  MH> architectures) as soon as one architecture gets a new version. Fixing that
  MH> requires a different approach, I think.

Thanks for the explanation. As far as I'm concerned the current
approach is satisfactory, as I don't need to track different versions
of different archs. Of course others might need something more
flexible, but IMO it would be already a big improvement if the current
code could make it in unstable. Then we can probably think about
further enhancements, so basically release early release often :)

Ciao!

Free