[Debsplash-devel] Usplash

website website_debian@tiscali.it
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 00:58:52 +0100

--nextPart1467191.H1Hj8uPkLB

On Friday 31 December 2004 20:47, Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:
> Any word on usplash yet?  I have not done any work on debslplash (because=
> have come to dislike bootsplash from packaging it...) although I am
> available for bug fixing and debugging.
>
> Just wondering if there is any progress on usplash.

We found the last error of debsplash on 25th December, now Luis M is fixing=
=20
and test it.
I leave from debsplash sources and tring to develop usplash (or a think lik=
e=20
that). if you want some infos about usplash (that is frozen now see=20
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/USplash ).
Studing this wiki page i saw some mistakes, the way thought by ubuntu=20
developers seems to be very hard to do and very complicated. I contacted th=
em=20
to explain a new idea:
i thought that a X-like server will solve the problem. This X-like server=20
should be very tiny and uses few resources of the system. It should be=20
started by init as first script (S01*) and than it will look at /dev/ttyx=20
and /dev/console to obtain input and paste at the console with graphical=20
boot. BTW this is like the stuff that there is in fedora, but it is not a=20
tiny X server but X.org itself. I started getting the sources of X.org and=
=20
i'm going to clean all the code to be tiny.
Paul Sladen (project developer of usplash) is thinking about this way of=20
bootsplash...

see you=20

=2D-=20
website