[Debtags-devel] Ideas that came out of an Aglianico bottle last night

Peter Rockai (mornfall) mornfall@kalyxo.org
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:02:22 +0100

--nextPart3526941.He9iRakojt

> Hi,
Hello,
> Time draws closer for when i depart to berkeley to work on Debtags.
>
> Enrico, maybe we should try to get back to the old concept of
> providing "exhaustive, but not too much choice". ;-)
> I wouldn't try to limit the facets shown at the beginning. One time or
> the other you want to start differently.
>
> For the web frontend, my current idea is to show alternating a list of
> facets together with a count of how many packages are tagged and maybe
> the selectivity; then only show contents of that facet to the user,
> maybe sorted by selectivity again.
Sorting by selectivity doesn't help much if you are looking for "audio". Ne=
ed=20
to scan all the stuff. Alphabetic is much better IMO. You can put selectivi=
ty=20
in parentheses or something as a hint. Question remains how useful it would=
=20
be for an user.

> OTOH, I'm not yet 100% sure about the tagging thing. IMHO, recent work
> on tags has shown more complex demands.
>
> For example file type handlings. I love the idea of having tags for
> file format support. That can show so damn useful.
>
> But sooner or later we are going to need to differentiate between "can
> play mp3" and "can create mp3". using the role tags won't do: for
> example a program may be able to playback mp3 and ogg-vorbis, but only
> create ogg-vorbis.
> So I fear we are going to need some kind of predicates, which means
> making progress towards "reasoning".
> Tags would then look like action::playback(file-format::mp3
> file-format::vorbis), action::create(file-format::vorbis)
>
> But i'm a bit biased here, since there is a lot of
> reasoning-on-the-web work being done at my institute (and in the
> rewerse project) and i'm considering this area for my diploma thesis.
> So what do you think?
If you use predicate logic instead of tagging to describe packages, i think=
=20
users won't be generally able to formulate sensible queries. (Unless i am=20
missing something that is). Also, how relevant it is to the user? I would s=
ay=20
it would be sheer overkill. Yes, i can see the benefits. But i don't think=
=20
they are very applicable. Also, any tagging automation is going to be *very=
*=20
complicated, even tagging by hand is going to suffer. So i would say, do no=
t=20
aim for perfect system, merely for one that works rather well and is as=20
little work as possible :).

> Greetings,
> Erich Schubert

Yours,
    Peter.

PS: Sorry, i hit wrong reply button last time and was now wondering whether=
 i=20
forgot to send the mail or what, cus it didn't appear in my debtags folder.=
=20
Especially sorry to Erich :).

=2D-=20
Peter Rockai (mornfall)  |  mornfall()kalyxo!org  |  http://www.kalyxo.org
=2D-
He says gods like to see an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at.
                       -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)