[Debtags-devel] Ideas that came out of an Aglianico bottle last night

Peter Rockai (mornfall) mornfall@kalyxo.org
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:02:52 +0100

--nextPart21199863.0szvAbvvtv

On Thursday 02 December 2004 18:40, Benjamin Mesing wrote:
> Hello,

[snip]
> I think we have to take care not to blow up the tagging approach too
> much. As it is meant to makes finding packages easier for the user, it
> should not make the process of searching too complicated. We could end
> up requesting the user learning so much new things and making so much
> choices that he gives up at last and falls back to simple text search. I
> think for cases as described above a combination of different types of
> searches might be a better solution. The search application I've
> developed (http://packagesearch.sourceforge.net) provides a single
> interface for different types of search. If I search I often use the
> text search because there I do not have to search for the correct tag to
> select even now. I think this won't become easier if we add more
> features. Btw. this is one reason why I do not like the vocabulary to
> become too crowded.
> But I might be wrong here and would be glad to be proven so - so
> researching on this topic would definetely bring some benifit. Just make
> sure to test acceptance from the users too.
As for blowing up the vocabulary and complexity of searching. I had once an=
=20
idea to implement a ranked search capability ((buzzword warning) ala google=
).=20
You can use tags as high-relevance links and dependencies as lower relevanc=
e=20
links and so on. Also, adding description to each tag and having that=20
searched as well (and of course all packages tagged with that tag), etc.=20
Possibilities are great :). Sorry for being so talkative and not doing any=
=20
actual work, but i'm busy with libapt-front and other stuff :/. So i though=
t=20
writing down ideas could be at least a little bit more helpful than doing=20
nothing :).
[snip]

> Greetings Ben

Yours,
    Peter
=2D-=20
Peter Rockai (mornfall)  |  mornfall()kalyxo!org  |  http://www.kalyxo.org
=2D-
He says gods like to see an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at.
                       -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)