[Debtags-devel] Re: Introductions, etc

carl Vilbrandt carl@ggpl.org
Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:57:10 +0900

--------------040003070300020708080901

to all ... :-)
the level of programing skill needed to be able to give back to the
debian community is high.  it is high enough that i have been unable  to
find a way to involve the students in my lab (who all agree to put their
work under an open source license) at very special computer only
university in japan.

if the academic and free source community that are both based on sharing
knowledge can find a way to work with each other it might be of some
help to both communities.  i need to find people in the debian community
that is willing to experiment  in trying to establish an a link between
the free source community and the Computer Arts Lab of the University of
Aizu.

Example of recent free source work :
one of my graduate students created an free source 3D graphics engine
(hidden surface removal) that works on all cell phones in java. the
lowest powered cell phone that had only 10k space of java space was use.
 it had no graphics engine ... the code was 3K in size.
Most cell phones are now 100 times more powerful and have 3D graphics
engines... all of course are proprietary engines that are not
compatible.  ( anyone interested in this code i will sent it to you )

What might be possible:
in the 4th year of study each student must do some computer research
project that is their choice and write a 4 page paper called a
graduation thesis in english.  as a professor i am to offer / suggest a
number of  projects for the students to choose from.  this is due in the
next two weeks

is there anyone in debian group that would be willing to suggest a
graduation thesis project ( i will post it within the university as a
suggested  project ) and remotely guide the graduation thesis work for
one year.  the graduation thesis work can be an on going project  such
as the two 4 year projects: music driven animation and a P2P online
community ( sparkle gate ).

Regards,

--
Carl Vilbrandt, Associate Professor
University of Aizu________________________________Computer Arts Lab

Thaddeus H. Black wrote:

>Chris Teodorski wrote on debian-doc@lists.debian.org,
>

>>Hello all -- I'm interested in finding a way in which I can give back to
>>the community.  I've been using GNU\Linux for several years now and
>>having settled on Debian as my distro of choice, I decided it was time
>>to offer my assistance.
>>
>>I'm not a hacker so unless the Debian community is interested in
>>introducing very poorly written code into Debian then I'm not of any use
>>there.  I am fairly technically literate (my day job is as a SysAdmin)
>>and my degree is in English Lit, so it seems that I am a perfect fit for
>>the documentation project.  So, I'm asking if I can help out and how?
>>

>Sometimes I wish that I had a degree in English Lit.  Like you,
>documenting the system is also my principal Debian interest.
>
>Since twenty-four hours have passed and no one on debian-doc seems
>publicly to have spoken, I should refer you over to [1] and [2].
>Investigate; then, if you feel willing, able and interested to
>contribute there, introduce yourself on [2].

--------------040003070300020708080901

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
to all ... :-)<br>
the level of programing skill needed to be able to give back to the debian
community is high. &nbsp;it is high enough that i have been unable&nbsp; to find a
way to involve the students in my lab (who all agree to put their work under
an open source license) at very special computer only university in japan.
&nbsp;<br>
if the academic and free source community that are both based on sharing
knowledge can find a way to work with each other it might be of some help
to both communities. &nbsp;i need to find people in the debian community that
is willing to experiment&nbsp; in trying to establish an a link between the free
source community and the Computer Arts Lab of the University of Aizu. &nbsp;<br>
Example of recent free source work :<br>
one of my graduate students created an free source 3D graphics engine (hidden
surface removal) that works on all cell phones in java. the lowest powered
cell phone that had only 10k space of java space was use. &nbsp;it had no graphics
engine ... the code was 3K in size.<br>
Most cell phones are now 100 times more powerful and have 3D graphics engines...
all of course are proprietary engines that are not compatible. &nbsp;( anyone
interested in this code i will sent it to you )<br>
What might be possible:<br>
in the 4th year of study each student must do some computer research project
that is their choice and write a 4 page paper called a graduation thesis
in english. &nbsp;as a professor i am to offer / suggest a number of &nbsp;projects
for the students to choose from. &nbsp;this is due in the next two weeks<br>
is there anyone in debian group that would be willing to suggest a graduation
thesis project ( i will post it within the university as a suggested &nbsp;project
) and remotely guide the graduation thesis work for one year. &nbsp;the graduation
thesis work can be an on going project &nbsp;such as the two 4 year projects:
music driven animation and a P2P online community ( sparkle gate ).<br>
Regards,<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
Carl Vilbrandt, Associate Professor
University of Aizu________________________________Computer Arts Lab
Tsuruga, lkki-machi, Aizu-Wakamatsu City, Fukushima, 965-8580 JAPAN
phone 81-242-37-2792 / fax 81-242-37-2772 / email <a
 class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:vilb@u-aizu.ac.jp">vilb@u-aizu.ac.jp</a>
</pre>
&nbsp;<br>
Thaddeus H. Black wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">Chris Teodorski wrote on <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:debian-doc@lists.debian.org">debian-doc@lists.debian.org</a>,

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Hello all -- I'm interested in finding a way in which I can give back to