[Debtags-devel] Re: Do we need better documentation about our subsections?

Thaddeus H. Black t@b-tk.org
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:16:51 +0000

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

(This reply is kept off debian-devel because I
do not wish inadvertently to contradict Enrico
there.  Enrico should feel free to answer on
debian-devel at his discretion.)

Gustavo wrote,

> I know debtags and Enrico, but will debtags
> replace our current subsections after sarge ?
> Was it discussed before? Are you needing help?

Put simply, for several months after sarge
freezes, I will be working on finishing and
checking the tagging of sarge's packages.  But
simultaneously also beginning at freeze time,
new packages for sarge+1 will begin to flow into
sid at a rate of about 100 binary packages per
week.  I will not be able both to finish the old
and to keep up with the new at the same time.

Gustavo, we need help tagging sarge+1 packages
for debtags as they come in.  If this were done,
then when the sarge tags are fully ready, the
tags base would be immediately up to date.
Immediate help in this would thus be very much
appreciated.  If you would help, please begin
preparing your scripts now, because the
opportunity to act begins the day sarge freezes.
As far as I know, no one else is ready to act on
this, so this would be your project.

In my view, that is the highest-priority task,
but if it did not suit you then here are several
others our leader Enrico has suggested.

  * Design how to distribute localized
    translations of tag names and descriptions

  * Design automatic methods to infer tags from
    existing package data; for example, Javier
    Fern=E1ndez-Sanguino Pe=F1a suggested the use of
    TFIDF techniques to extract keywords from
    package descriptions

  * Find a good way to maintain the central
    Debian tag vocabulary (technical
    infrastructure, people in charge of it)

  * Discuss the idea of "Adopting" tags, that is
    having people who take care of the
    correctness of the list of packages
    associated to a given tag (which another
    point of view compared to checking that all
    tags associated to a package are correct)
    (Suggested by Erich Schubert)

  * Discuss the idea of "Outsourcing" the
    maintenance of some tags: for example the
    Gnome and KDE people could take care of
    maintaining the tag data related to Gnome
    and KDE.

  * Inclusion of "Tag:" fields in package
    control files

I appreciate your interest.  I think that we all
appreciate it.  Tagging the archive is a big
task.  Please join our low-volume list
debtags-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org.

--=20
Thaddeus H. Black