[Debtags-devel] Re: Do we need better documentation about our subsections?

Enrico Zini zinie@cs.unibo.it
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:49:26 +0200

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 10:18:17AM +0200, Benjamin Mesing wrote:

> through them and look which one is worth the download. Generally I give
> the libary section only a quick glance without completely excluding it -
> this is something not possible with the debtags approach. There I could
> either exclude them or include. But while the first would hide them
> completely, the second would not make them appear in a seperate branch.

We have Special::auto-inst-parts which could do this; however, that
would need some interface improvement, like being able to exclude some
facets when doing grouping and branching, but still use them for
filtering.

> As I am currently learning for my artificial intelligence exams it came
> to my mind that perhaps something from there could help us tagging. It
> could be fed with the control files of packages and spit out a tagging.=
=20
> It is only an idea and I don't know much about AI in use, i.e. if this
> would do any good, but to me it seems like a task predestined for
> AI-System. I guess there are a lot of people out there who actually know
> AI. Perhaps we should ask on debtags-devel about this?

Mornfall suggested a very smart cute interesting idea here: training a
bayesian filter with the existing package metadata -> tags associations,
and then try to use them to infer new tags for non tagged packages.  The
result may either be entertaining or useful, and in both cases it would
be worth trying. :)

> >   * Inclusion of "Tag:" fields in package
> >     control files
> I think at least this is where it should come down eventually. When the
> tagset is somehow stabelized, every maintainer should tag his packages.
> In my opinion it is no option to do the tagging in a central place.
> Tagging must become an integral part of the maintainance process. It
> should apper in the Debian New Maintainers Guide and everywhere else
> where packaging is described. Without eventually leading this, I guess
> all other efforts are futile. Therefor in the end there must be a good
> documentation of the facets and tags so developers can do it right.

I agree.  I still have some reserve in putting the tags in the control
file, but I agree about fully integrating tagging in the maintenance
process and in DD everyday life, like it is with sections now.

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs--