[Debtags-devel] OT: airfare to debconf

Thaddeus H. Black t@b-tk.org
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:45:28 +0000

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 04:16:11AM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 09:20:42PM +0000, Thaddeus H. Black wrote:
>=20
> > it really costs so much to fly from Virginia (ROA) to
> > Finland (HEL) and back, but I have no relevant
> > experience to guide me in this.  If more affordable
> > airfare can somehow be found, I do not know where to
> > look.  Do you?
>=20
> Try looking for a flight to Tallin instead: then there's a cheapish boat
> that brings you to Helsinki.  If you try that route, don't forget to
> check if you need a visa for Estonia.  Stockholm is connected by boat to
> Helsinki as well.
>=20
> Or if you find some cheaper airport in Europe, then you can take some
> low-cost internal airline: www.skyscanner.net is a meta search engine on
> them.
>=20
> You could fly to Berlin (around 550euros) and then to Tallin with
> Estonian Air[1].  This is the best I could find so far.

Well, guys, I am sorry.  Thank you for the advice and good care.
Understandably, it seems that everyone in the world who wants to go to
Finland prefers to go in July.  Also, petroleum prices are high this
year, so the airfare is unusually expensive.  I have my passport all
ready to go, but a passport without an airplane ticket is not of much
use, is it?  Unless unexpectedly some airline very deeply discounts
unsold seats at the last minute, I do not think that you will see me in
Finland at Debconf5.  This is disappointing to me.  As my wife could
tell you, I have been keen to come.  I had looked forward to meeting you
at the conference.

=46rom my home, one can travel to Mexico in July at half the cost.  If the
IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society's 2006 conference is not scheduled
during the same week, then hopefully I will see you in Mexico at
Debconf6 next year.

Have a good time.  Take photos and post them.  I wish that I could come.

--=20
Thaddeus H. Black
508 Nellie's Cave Road
Blacksburg, Virginia 24060, USA