[Debtags-devel] poptags

Gustavo Franco gustavorfranco at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 18:24:05 UTC 2005

On 8/11/05, Benjamin Mesing <bensmail at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> let me ask you what exactly you are doing:
>
> > stratus at deadhorse:~$ ./poptags culture::brazilian
> Do a debtags search and get the popcon rank of the result packages.
>
> > stratus at deadhorse:~$ ./poptags debtags
> Do a apt-cache (or other search). And get the the popcon rank of the
> result packages.

Yes and no. I'm cheating and calling grep-aptavail through popen(). I
prepare a list containing the available packages (filtered using
grep-aptvail) and after that i retrieve (from my yet uncomplete cache
or web) the popcon data, the third step is just cross and show the
information.

> Your application sounds useful to me. Crossing search results with some
> kind of ranking mechanism is always a good idea, and popcon seems to be
> a good candidate to provide a useful criteria.

Good to hear, my co workers enjoyed the new toy.

> I am highly interested in what you are doing. I'm developing and
> maintaining the package search (GUI-)application  "packagesearch".
> Currently I am in the process of implementing a scoring mechanism.
> Therefore using popcon data is of high interest to me.

Sounds great!

Best regards,
Gustavo Franco -- <stratus at debian.org>