[Debtags-devel] Updating tags on svn

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 15:15:33 UTC 2005

Hi Enrico, Hello List,
The "application vs. utility" issue has been haunting us for way to long.
Somehow everybody seems to have a notion about what is an application
and what is only a utility, but that varies. (this would speak for
removing the distinction)
Having a clear distinction however would be way better.
My "view" of the distinction is that you use "applications" for your
actual work, whereas you use utilities as "productivity boosters".
I.e. a spreadsheet or gimp are applications, whereas "imagemagick" or
"sort" are utilities.

Although I've been a long-time promoter of having both tags, I'm now
supporting the merge... there are just too many cases where I have
difficulties finding a clear tagging. Like imagemagick - "display" in
imagemagick is more an application than a utility IMHO. And gpdf is a
viewer, but an application, no utility... I guess the user will have
to fall back to the UI tags and such. I mean, you rarely search for
"utilities && !application" anyway, would you?

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\