[Debtags-devel] Updating tags on svn

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Mon Aug 15 14:57:07 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 04:34:05PM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:
> Hi Enrico, Hello World
> >  - Are X terminals: role::sw:application, role::sw:utility or something
> >    else?
> They are utilities, IMHO. They are of no use without other
> applications running inside.
> But you could use these applications just fine with a real console.

Do we have an agreed and shared definition of 'utility'?  At the moment,
I pulled this from the role::sw:utility description:

 A program designed for general support of the processes of a computer.
 .
 Applications which are useful to attain a goal, but which are not
 the specific application to use to solve that goal.

Is this ok?

> >  - Are games role::sw:application, or should I create role::sw:game?
> Application for now, since we do have other game tags, don't we?
> So even if we add role::sw:game later on, this is as easy as finding
> all packages with :application and retagging them.

That's sensible.  And they'd be very easy to identify as
'role::sw:application && use::gameplaying'.

> >  - Are shells use::login?
> No, you never login with a shell. You login with "login" or "ssh"
> usually. The use of a shell is to either run other applications (shell
> scripts) or to provide a command line interface for the end user.

Right.  And since one can put any software instead of a shell, if we tag
shells with use::login we would have to tag any software with use::login

> > digikam: +works-with::image:raster, +works-with::rasterimage, -special::invalid-tag
> Remove the rasterimage.
> I didn't check if there are more occurrences of this.

They should all have disappeared when I removed
'works-with::rasterimage' from the vocabulary.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>