[Debtags-devel] Updating tags on svn

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Mon Aug 15 20:01:32 UTC 2005

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 10:09:11PM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:

> > They look like metapackages to me, as their job is to give a convenient
> > name for pulling in some (one in this case) packages.  Dummy packages
> > are more like placeholders for packages which have been removed between
> > Debian releases.
> Or on the other hand, the word "transitional" applies to both
> fetchmail-ssl and python-foo - they both function mainly to smooth
> upgrades, not to simplify selections.  But then again I suppose
> things would look different if I was installing python-foo for my
> own purposes rather than treating it as a library dependency...

Another rule could be: a role::aux:dummy is intended to be installed by
package managers, never by users.  A role::aux:metapackage is intended
to be installed by users.

> > I can do the renaming for you if you want.
> Okay, thanks - watch out for the genuine (special::obsolete) dummy
> packages, though.  My latest submitted patch-batch still uses the
> "dummy" tag, but I'll switch once it's gone through.

Thanks for the warning.  I've now finally performed all the
reorganization discussed in this thread, so we can finally close it :)

Only differences:

 1) as said, I didn't merge utility and application
 2) I didn't create accessibility::input-method as we already had
    accessibility::input.  I changed the long description of
    accessibility::input to account for this newly added interpretation.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>