[Debtags-devel] Updating tags on svn

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sun Aug 14 21:09:11 UTC 2005

>> I notice that many
>> python-foo packages fall somewhere between the above two.  Unlike
>> role::aux:dummy, they are designed to stay installed; and unlike
>> role::aux:metapackage they pull in only one package, the latest
>> version (python2.x-foo).  I'm calling them :dummy packages for now,
>> but there might be an argument for changing that.

(A counterargument that has just occurred to me is that we shouldn't
base it on how many packages they depend on, since there are
dependency packages that call for either X or Y+Z...)

> They look like metapackages to me, as their job is to give a convenient
> name for pulling in some (one in this case) packages.  Dummy packages
> are more like placeholders for packages which have been removed between
> Debian releases.

Or on the other hand, the word "transitional" applies to both
fetchmail-ssl and python-foo - they both function mainly to smooth
upgrades, not to simplify selections.  But then again I suppose
things would look different if I was installing python-foo for my
own purposes rather than treating it as a library dependency...

> I can do the renaming for you if you want.

Okay, thanks - watch out for the genuine (special::obsolete) dummy
packages, though.  My latest submitted patch-batch still uses the
"dummy" tag, but I'll switch once it's gone through.
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)