[Debtags-devel] Updating tags on svn

Thaddeus H. Black t at b-tk.org
Tue Aug 16 19:57:31 UTC 2005

Revised draft: four tags.  Review and comment.

role::sw:utility

 A lean, tightly focused tool (or a collection of such tools), normally
 run noninteractively, which
 .
   * reports the state of the system in some respect (as find);
   * automates a well defined task (as cp);
   * filters a stream of text or data (as sed);
   * displays data in a simple, noninteractive way (as xloadimage);
     or
   * fetches or reports data by a specific protocol (as rsync),
     implements a basic client to such a protocol (as ssh), or
     talks to a daemon.
 .
 Also, a basic tool which provides a generic front end with an
 unembellished interface (as bash, xterm or login).
 .
 Most packages will get no more than one of the four tags
 role::sw:{utility,backgrounder,application,game}.

role::sw:backgrounder

 A daemon, a program normally run as a cron job, or a program normally
 invoked automatically in response to a network event.
 .
 Most packages will get no more than one of the four tags
 role::sw:{utility,backgrounder,application,game}.

role::sw:application

 Programs too complex, unfocused or featureful (as perl or the
 autotools) to be called utilities.  Programs whose normal interface
 is interactive or nonminimalistic (as mozilla or top).  Tools which
 transform data in intricate, adaptive or highly nonobvious ways (as
 latex or gcc).
 .
 Most packages will get no more than one of the four tags
 role::sw:{utility,backgrounder,application,game}.

role::sw:game

 A game.
 .
 Most packages will get no more than one of the four tags
 role::sw:{utility,backgrounder,application,game}.

I have one comment.  German is a tremendous language, but my
Germanic pseudo-word "backgrounder" is admittedly uncouth.  Perhaps
there is a Latin word we can press into service, to go with the Latin
words "utility" and "application"?  If so, what word can we use in place
of "backgrounder"?