[Debtags-devel] Updating tags on svn

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 12:06:19 UTC 2005

Hi,

> Would minimalistic dockapps (wmclock, for instance) still be
> applications?  Are things like 9menu simplistic enough to be
> utilities (despite requiring mouse input)?

Depends. I guess there are difficult cases - like this post-it
notekeeping dockapp.
I guess everybody would flag the gnome version (tomboy or so?) an application...

> > role::sw:game

Somehow I'd still prefer something like role::sw:amusement or
role::sw:toy or role::sw:entertainment

> Perhaps "a game, toy or trivial amusement" to be sure of catching
> things like filters or xjokes.

... because I like this one-line-description. ;-)

We need to talk about using singular or plural version in the descriptions, i.e.
"Games, toys and amusement" vs. "A game, toy or amusement program"

This makes a difference for the editing and browsing UIs, and I'd
prefer the plural version.

> The first exceptions that come to mind are
> * ssh - daemon (backgrounder) plus client (utility)

Which is two packages by now, openssh-server and openssh-client IIRC.

> Automation?

Sciprting languages fit well into the term "automation", but are not
background processes.
I somewhat like the term of "services", but it's not optimal either...
we could also strip the "germanism" -er - and just use role::sw:background?
"Software running in the background"?

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\