Debtags and menu -- a first shot

Benjamin Mesing bensmail at gmx.net
Sat Dec 17 21:07:04 UTC 2005

Hello

> thinking of trying to modify menu a bit so that at the first level
> only the use:: tags are used, that would cut down a bit on the number of possibilities
> Apps can be in all categories. Then as a second level it should use the works-with:: tags.
>
> The choice for use:: and works-with:: is purely by experiment, these
> seem to be the most consistently used tags. Maybe others like media::
> and protocol:: could be allowed to, but I'm not sure about that.
I think this is a good choice - looking at it from the users point of
view this resembles the approach:
     1. What do I want to do with the application?
     2. What do I want to edit with the application?
If it is possible to use dynamic menues it might also be a good idea, to
let you choose tags in a menu way. You have the facets on toplevel, than
you choose a tag, afterwards you can chooose from the facets again. It
might be a little bit clumsy to navigate though - multilevel menues are
nothing extraordinary useable.

> btw: Does anybody know how to make a screenshot of a menu in gnome?
Tell gimp to make a screenshot (I think it is: File->Aquire->Screenshot)
of the whole screen with a delay, this should work.

> btw2: What's the difference between use::gaming and use::gameplaying
Where did you get this from?
        > grep -e "use::gam" /var/lib/debtags/vocabulary
        Tag: use::gameplaying

Best regards
Ben