Debtags and menu -- a first shot

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Sat Dec 17 13:12:46 UTC 2005

Hi,

I gave trying to use the tag database to make a menu layout for the
debian menu a first shot. It's not truly tag-like because all entries
appear only once.  I just used fed menu's hinting system with some tags.
I only use use:: and works-with:: because others like x11::, made-of:: or suite::
didn't really add usefull info in the menu.

The first observations:
1) Unfortunately a lot of apps lack tags...
2) Menu's hinting system is not really compatible with tagging.

Of course an app can have multiple use:: or works-with:: tags, with the
hinting algorithm it's more or less a matter of chance which one gets
precedence.

I'm thinking of trying to modify menu a bit so that at the first level
only the use:: tags are used, that would cut down a bit on the number of possibilities
Apps can be in all categories. Then as a second level it should use the works-with:: tags.

The choice for use:: and works-with:: is purely by experiment, these
seem to be the most consistently used tags. Maybe others like media::
and protocol:: could be allowed to, but I'm not sure about that.

grts Tim

btw: Does anybody know how to make a screenshot of a menu in gnome?

btw2: What's the difference between use::gaming and use::gameplaying