[Debtags-devel] Proposed Debtags goals for Etch

Benjamin Mesing bensmail at gmx.net
Mon Jul 18 07:52:51 UTC 2005

Hello,

> Tag: admin::package-management
>  (But then again, maybe tools like debtags or pdbv don't belong in
>  "admin::" - should there be a "works-with::packages"?)
I would recommend both tags!
Uhh, and btw. admin seems to be a subcategory of use, doesn't it?

> Tag: culture::american
> Tag: culture::british
> Tag: culture::canadian
>
>  (I can imagine these labels may annoy, eg, francophone Canadians...
Well - french i18n-packages could be tagged with culture::canadian too.

>  (Only joking... though the more I think about it the more useful it
>  seems.  Oh, and we're also short of ::breton, gaelic, galician,
>  latin, latvian, lithuanian, manx, slovenian, swahili, swedish,
>  swissgerman and tagalog.  How'd we get ::faroese before ::swedish?)
I always suspected culture was for *culture* not only for languages! (So
e.g. swissgerman should be swiss instead).

> Tag: field::arts-graphical
> Tag: field::arts-musical
How about field::arts instead? The fine tuning can be done with
works-with::{audio,music-notation} for the musical part.

> Tag: field::linguistics
>
>  (Or perhaps ::language, but I'm showing my personal bias here.
>  This covers festival, praat, tipa, translate...  Meanwhile,
>  field::geology looks to me like a dud.)
As I consider field to be more about siences, I tend to prefer
linguistics.

> Tag: sound::oss
> Tag: sound::alsa
Hmm, do we really need this -> this would also require to add
sound::esd, sound::nas,...
Perhaps there is another category for this. If not I would propose
sound::backend-{oss,alsa,esd,nas,...}.
Btw. I still prefer to use sound::backend::oss for those subcategories.
This allows to put them in a hierachy in the user interface, the hyphen
is also used for normal tags, so it is not fitting for this pupose.

> Tag: suite::xmms
Already there.

> Tag: works-with::man
>
>  (And maybe ::info?  We might even want a format/made-of:: for man
>  and info, to use on docs packages, but they might get lost among
>  the it-happens-to-contain-just-one::manpage tags)
We have work-with::plain-text and ::textdocument. Btw. what about this
distinction? It seems a little bit fuzzy to me. But perhaps it was only
the description which confused me. However nothing better comes to my
mind.

> Tag: works-with::metadata
>
>  (For ID3-taggers, EXIF data-dumpers, ogg collection organisers,
>  libextract etc)
I would leave this to the special domain the meta data belongs to: i.e.
works-with::{sound,rasterimage,...}. Btw. we should really get rid of
the rasterimage tag! This is a really nasty technical term.

And please rename langdevel::environment to langdevel::ide!

Greetings Ben