[Debtags-devel] Re: Merging admin, devel, langdevel and game into use

Nathanael Nerode neroden at twcny.rr.com
Sun Jul 24 04:07:28 UTC 2005

OK, so I see that some of the territory I've been looking at has been covered
...not all of it though.

langdevel shouldn't be merged into use:: -- it should be works-with:: instead.

game:: should *not* be merged into use, because the tags under game::
are actually all about what *type* of game the game is.  They don't feel
like different "uses" to me.  This is a facet which works smoothly as-is.
It's also, perhaps surprisingly, orthogonal to use.  atlantik-designer is
really a specialized editor for game creation, but it deserves a "game:X" tag
to explain what *sort* of game it edits.  If TADS or Inform compilers were
in the archive, similar arguments would apply.  This classification is really
along the lines of "Is this an impressionist artwork, or a minimalist artwork?"

devel *mostly* belongs in use::, but not all.  But I don't think it should
be a subdomain of use:: -- I think the purposes can go straight into use,
together with an "job::devel" tag or some such.  (That's the facet I am trying
to come up with a good name for; the one which usually corresponds to
different job descriptions in the computing field.
"job::" devel/sysadmin/network/web/etc.)

Here's a suggestion for the ones which I think may *not* belong in use:
devel::debian -> suite::debian  :-)
devel::editor -> use::editing + works-with::(language)
devel::i18n -> not sure
devel::library -> not sure, but definitely not a use.
devel::machinecode -> works-with::lang-machinecode / works-with::lang-asm
devel::runtime -> not sure.  role::aux-runtime ?
devel::ui-builder -> not sure.

Likewise admin:
admin::kernel -> not a "use"
admin::configuring -> use::configuring + area::sysadmin

On another topic:
>All the packages you've mentioned are about speech synthesis and
Not linguistics necessarily....

>splitting a phrase down into phonemes,
Definitely linguistics.  (Phonology, to be precise.)

>  I don't know
>how useful it is to operate this distiction, as it's quite implicit in
>the concept of 'commandline interface' that they're intended for using
>inside some script or some automatic system.

You betray a GUI bias.  :-)
"make", "gcc", "autoconf", "ls", "ps" -- all intended to be invoked directly
by users, not in an automatic system.  All command-line interfaces.

--
Yaargh.