[Debtags-devel] tagging AI, bayes and fuzzy tags

Enrico Zini enrico@enricozini.org
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:59:05 +0200

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 10:30:01AM +0200, Benjamin Mesing wrote:

> > with not much benefit to add for the end user.
> > [...]
> > Having packages sorted by some magic "rating" derived from the tags
> > will make things only worse.
> I disagree here. Imagine goole returing the results in alphabetically
> order. You will have trouble finding some meaningfull sites (and a lot
> of website will start with aaa in their title :-)
> In fact I planning to integrate some kind of ranking into my search
> application, though I am not yet sure how to do this (I am thinking
> about popcon and the number of occurences of the search term - however I
> am not yet sure how to do this for tags yet -- any ideas would be
> appreciated). Of course the user will have the possibility to disable
> rating...

I think the GUI part can be solved by making the sorting field explicit,
for example, by showing the rank if the rank is used for sorting.  That
way it'll be ovious to realise why results are in that order.

Then, if needed one can always use resortable lists in which people
click on the title and they sort by what they want.

For how to access popcon data, my vision is that aggregating data from
different sources belongs into libapt-front, which is however not yet
ready.  I'm thus delaying implementing such features to when I'll be
able to use libapt-front, and if I'll urgently need them, I'll implement
them there.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ--