[Debtags-devel] Re: Recent progress

Erich Schubert Erich Schubert <erich.schubert@gmail.com>
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:52:54 -0800

Hi,
> Frankly, I like X11 app better (there much more ergonomic), but:
> - they are harder to write

I don't think X11 apps are really harder to write than web apps. If
you want the web app to have a really user friendly interface this is
a lot harder than like writing a GTK app with glade.

> - they run on the client side, so they must be installed (sometimes
>   hard to ensure) and they must send the changes to a repository

Yeah, but on the other side, "apt-get install" isn't that hard, and
you can use it offline.

> - they are often associated to some graphical toolkit war

So what? ;-) As long as its GTK I'm fine...

> So a Web interface is probably simpler in the first place.

Yeah, then you only have the browser wars if you want to do any of the
fancy stuff.

> > As a package maintainer, I really would
> > prefer an e-mail interface, and better yet a "Tags:"
> > field in debian/control.
>=20
> If someone wants to implement that, why not. But that would probably
> not be a priority, in my opinion.

We are using an email interface to transmit changes done in the
debtags-edit gtk application. My new version also has console query
commands already, and I will do console edit commands (for the
database, that is), too - that way I can more easily interface it from
scripts, so I need that myself, too.
I don't know yet about the end-user stuff. I think enricos apps
already include console stuff. I remember this really cool "show me
similar packages to xyz" function.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\