[Debtags-devel] Re: Recent progress

Hervé Eychenne rv@eychenne.org
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:09:45 +0100

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 12:52:54AM -0800, Erich Schubert wrote:

 Hi,

> > Frankly, I like X11 app better (there much more ergonomic), but:
> > - they are harder to write

> I don't think X11 apps are really harder to write than web apps. If
> you want the web app to have a really user friendly interface this is
> a lot harder than like writing a GTK app with glade.

I agree, that's why you want to create quite simple Web pages that are
usable with any browser (what you wrote in another message saying that
your test is not viewable with anything but Mozilla is not good sign
at all...). And that is simpler than writing a X11 app.

> > - they run on the client side, so they must be installed (sometimes
> >   hard to ensure) and they must send the changes to a repository

> Yeah, but on the other side, "apt-get install" isn't that hard, and
> you can use it offline.

You're right. But for a X11 app, you have to create a package, and
that may be a little problem/burden:
- you have to create it, release versions, maintain it
- it may not run on all versions of Debian (woody...)
- you have to install it to make it work (believe it or not, but some
  Debian maintainers seem reluctant to install too many extra packages
  to achieve their maintainance tasks)

I don't say this is impossible or non desirable, only that this is
probably more complicated.
Anyway, debtags-edit exists already, and is not bad, so possibly it
could be improved and used...

> > - they are often associated to some graphical toolkit war

> So what? ;-) As long as its GTK I'm fine...

I really prefer Qt/C++ (and GTK-- is crappy). Here we are. ;-)

> > So a Web interface is probably simpler in the first place.

> Yeah, then you only have the browser wars if you want to do any of the
> fancy stuff.

You don't want to (too much). I know you're having fun with that (it can
be), but fun is not systematically what produces the most efficiency. ;-)

> > > As a package maintainer, I really would
> > > prefer an e-mail interface, and better yet a "Tags:"
> > > field in debian/control.

> > If someone wants to implement that, why not. But that would probably
> > not be a priority, in my opinion.

> We are using an email interface to transmit changes done in the
> debtags-edit gtk application.

Whether it's the best strategy (email) seems questionnable to me (I don't
have answers)... Why not.

 Hervé

--
 _