[Debtags-devel] New web interface

Peter Rockai me at mornfall.net
Sat Nov 12 15:41:15 UTC 2005

Hi,
On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 04:02:14PM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've hacked together this nice new web interface:
>
>   http://debtags.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi
>
> It's the smart-search concept: you start with a full-text search, which
> will give a starting set of wanted tags (the most common ones in the
> search).  Then you proceed refining by say "I want this", "I don't want
> this", "I don't care about this".
>
> The web interface is a nice proof-of-concept (the idea seems to work!)
> but the interaction is clumsy.  It really calls for drag&drop of tags
> between the 4 "want", "not want", "ignore", "top tags" boxes.
>
> Currently the interface starts with a search of all packages which is
> bad (takes time).  You search something in the top-right box and it gets
> ok.  Unfortunately I can't fix it before monday (have to run now).

A remark, what about limiting the search results to first say 50 and
providing a "show all matching packages" link? This would probably
speed up the start... (of course considering everything for all
internal purposes).

Other than that, it seems a good idea, but maybe provide more starting
tags than the six, they seem to make a bit difficult start... Or maybe
start with a nonempty filter -- like preseeding unwanted tags with all
aux packages... Or maybe no, just a thought.

Yours,
    Peter.

--
Peter Rockai | me()mornfall!net | prockai()redhat!com | +421907533216