[Debtags-devel] Good short descriptions: the protocols

Benjamin Mesing bensmail at gmx.net
Sat Nov 12 18:19:03 UTC 2005

Hello

> However, I'm not sure about the inclusion of the expanded name in the short
> description. It works nicely with HTTP, but then there are other protocols like
> CORBA == Common Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA).
> I was mainly thinking about using these descriptions in a dropdown box or in a
> web interface, were the space matters. If this is not a problem (what do the
> authors of package browsers/managers say?), then we would better do it like this.
Hmmm, we have a policy (though I don't know if it is written somewhere
except the list archive) of a tags short descriptions being no longer
than 65 (or something close) characters. I also think that a pure
repitition of the acronym adds no additional value (unless you hide the
tag name...). I think the short description should add some information
to the sole tag name.
What do the others think here?

Having looked through the tag sdec's there are indeed a number of them
which only repeat the tag name (like works-with::fax, works-with::xml,
use::learning).

Note that the decision made here could become a general policy for such
cases even outside the protocol facet. There are loads of cases:
      * works-with::sgml,
      * works-with::xml,
      * works-with::rss
      * suite::zope