[Debtags-devel] Good short descriptions: the protocols

Torsten Marek shlomme at gmx.net
Sat Nov 12 18:35:11 UTC 2005

Benjamin Mesing schrieb:
> Hello
>

>>However, I'm not sure about the inclusion of the expanded name in the short
>>description. It works nicely with HTTP, but then there are other protocols like
>>CORBA == Common Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA).
>>I was mainly thinking about using these descriptions in a dropdown box or in a
>>web interface, were the space matters. If this is not a problem (what do the
>>authors of package browsers/managers say?), then we would better do it like this.
>
> Hmmm, we have a policy (though I don't know if it is written somewhere
> except the list archive) of a tags short descriptions being no longer
> than 65 (or something close) characters. I also think that a pure
> repitition of the acronym adds no additional value (unless you hide the
> tag name...). I think the short description should add some information
> to the sole tag name.
Okay, CORBA is still much shorter than than. But take the new package browser
enrico posted today: the tag name is not shown, only the short description,
which is a good thing (tm) for everybody who doesn't think in
category::subcategory.

> What do the others think here?
>
> Having looked through the tag sdec's there are indeed a number of them
> which only repeat the tag name (like works-with::fax, works-with::xml,
> use::learning).
>
> Note that the decision made here could become a general policy for such
> cases even outside the protocol facet. There are loads of cases:
>       * works-with::sgml,
>       * works-with::xml,
>       * works-with::rss
>       * suite::zope
>       * web::cgi
>       * ...

I think that we actually need a general policy on what belongs into the short
description. In the role facet, we have the "sub-facet" name in parentheses, we
might make tagging easier, but looks a bit displaced in the web interface.

greetings

Torsten

- --
Torsten Marek <shlomme at gmx.net>
ID: A244C858 -- FP: 1902 0002 5DFC 856B F146  894C 7CC5 451E A244 C858
Keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net