[Debtags-devel] devel facet suggestions and text thoughts

Benjamin Mesing bensmail at gmx.net
Tue Nov 15 19:38:00 UTC 2005

Hello,

having used debtags-edit for real the first time today I've stumbled
over some issues.

Could someone please add a "devel::modelling" tag (for UML and
everything es out there)?
What is the meaning of
        Tag: devel::editor

Does this include everything used for editing in SW development? That
would equal to use::editing. Or does it work for source code editors
only (as opposed to e.g. UML editing). In the first case I would vote
for dropping it.

When trying to tag a text editor today, I saw a lot of use::text subtags
(like works-with::text:tex, works-with::text:html,
works-with::text:unicode...). As this editor supports a lot of syntaxes
I've decided to tag with works-with::text only. Is this correct? Btw. I
think works-with::text:unicode and works-with::text:html are used in a
different way. While works-with::text:html is used to find packages
_specifically designed_ to work with html, works-with::text:unicode is
used to find packages wich are capable of coping with unicode. Is this
interpretation correct?
If so, a general text editor able to do syntax highlighting for a lot of
languages including html and capable of unicode would be tagged with:
        works-with::text, works-with::text:unicode
but without works-with::text:html. This seems a little bit inconsitent
to me, and is probably a good source for inconsitency among tagging
packages.
We definetely need some tagging guidelines which ideally would show up
in debtags-edit (otherwise only some carefull maintainers will see
them)!

Examples for current tagging:
      * gedit: works-with::text, works-with::text:unicode
      * emacs21: works-with::dtp, works-with::mail, works-with::text

Btw. debtags-edit has gone a long way since I used it the last time. I
really like it now.

Best regards

Ben