[Debtags-devel] devel facet suggestions and text thoughts

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Wed Nov 16 13:51:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 02:38:00PM -0500, Benjamin Mesing wrote:

> Could someone please add a "devel::modelling" tag (for UML and
> everything es out there)?

Sure: you! ;)
Post a proposed patch to the list, wait a couple of days, commit.

> What is the meaning of
>         Tag: devel::editor
> Does this include everything used for editing in SW development? That
> would equal to use::editing. Or does it work for source code editors
> only (as opposed to e.g. UML editing). In the first case I would vote
> for dropping it.

I consider it as a text editor with special features for editing source
code, such as syntax highlighting, token completion, launching 'make'
and jumping on the file and line corresponding to compiler errors...

> When trying to tag a text editor today, I saw a lot of use::text subtags
> (like works-with::text:tex, works-with::text:html,
> works-with::text:unicode...). As this editor supports a lot of syntaxes
> I've decided to tag with works-with::text only. Is this correct?

No, I wouldn't do it, as they only work with some of those formats but
not others, so one can be more descriptive than that.

I'd do works-with::text:plain for sure.  Then I'd evaluate the other
tags asking myself if the editor has substantial features specific to
that text format.

emacs, for example, can very well be tagged with lots of them:
psgml-mode is indeed very useful for HTML and SGML development, and
latex-mode is very useful for LaTeX development.

I'm less sure about tagging gedit with works-with::text:html, though:
AFAIK the only HTML feature it has is syntax highlighting, so I wouldn't
consider it substantial.  However, if one looks for editors to work with
HTML, maybe gedit could fit there.

Yeah, in general I'd try to figure out a reasonable query involving that
tag and ask myself if the package fits in there or not.

> Btw. I think works-with::text:unicode and works-with::text:html are
> used in a different way. While works-with::text:html is used to find
> packages _specifically designed_ to work with html,
> works-with::text:unicode is used to find packages wich are capable of
> coping with unicode. Is this interpretation correct?

I'd say that works-with::text:html is for packages which are useful when
working with HTML.

works-with::text:unicode instead is for packages that have special
unicode-related features, like a unicode charmap or a charset conversion
software.  The tag description says:

   Please do not tag programs with simple unicode support,
   doing so would make this tag useless.
   Ultimately all applications should have unicode support.

And yes, I should definitely show the tag descriptions somewhere in
debtags-edit :)

> We definetely need some tagging guidelines which ideally would show up
> in debtags-edit (otherwise only some carefull maintainers will see
> them)!

Yes, that goes together with Torsten's suggestion at [1] to start
a wiki page with guidelines.

[1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debtags-devel/2005-November/001005.html

Things from the wiki page could then be moved to the vocabulary when
they are tag- or facet- specific, and otherwise converted to some file
that can be displayed in debtags-edit.

> Examples for current tagging:
>       * gedit: works-with::text, works-with::text:unicode
>       * emacs21: works-with::dtp, works-with::mail, works-with::text

I'd do gedit as 'works-with::text:plain'.  I wouldn't know about HTML
(some people coming from Windows would like to use it for HTML maybe?)
and I wouldn't use it for anything else.

emacs21, it'd basically works-with:: anything.  Its tag list would look
weird, but there's nothing to do: that's emacs :)

> Btw. debtags-edit has gone a long way since I used it the last time. I
> really like it now.

Thanks!
There's so much I'd still like to fix, though...

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>