[Debtags-devel] Protocols descriptions, ATM - HTTP, tag question

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Wed Nov 16 16:21:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 03:09:26PM +0100, Torsten Marek wrote:

> > I'd rename this only if all ICQ clients we have are also AIM clients,
> > and vice-versa.
> Well, the thing is that both ICQ and AIM use the same protocol (OSCAR) to
> connect to the servers.
[...]
> - From a strictly ontological view, the information about used protocol and im
> network belongs into different facets. Once the first GoogleTalk clients appear
[...]
> instant-messaging::aim (Implies: protocol::oscar)
> instant-messaging::icq (Actually Implies: protocol::oscar, which is the same as
> ICQv{7,8,9}. Only really old clients would be protocol::icq)
> instant-messaging::jabber (Implies: protocol::jaber, [protocol::xmpp])
> instant-messaging::jahoo (Implies: protocol::yahoo)
> instant-messaging::msn  (Implies: protocl::msn)

Right.  So I'm definitely in favour of merging aol and icq in protocol,
but only after we found a place to put these new instant-messaging tags,
as currently the protocol facet is the only way of finding the right
instant messaging clients one needs.

> >>* Why isn't it protocol::pop3, but protocol::pop?
> <quote>
> The earlier versions of the POP protocol, POP (informally called POP1) and POP2,
> have been thoroughly made obsolete by POP3. In contemporary usage, the less
> precise term POP almost always means POP3 in the context of email protocols.
> </quote>

Good!  Let's rename it then.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>