[Debtags-devel] filetransfer, filesharing and protocols

Torsten Marek shlomme at gmx.net
Thu Nov 17 00:25:48 UTC 2005

Hi,

while looking through the protocols, I found out that filetransfer is mostly a
subset of protocols.
Since there was a discussion about filesharing and p2p earlier [1], my proposal is:

1. Dissolve the filetransfer facet
2. Tag the packages that had a filetransfer::* tag with their supported
protocols and one or more of the following use categories (tba == to be added)

* use::filesharing (tba)
p2p-Filesharing programs (Implies: use::downloading)

* use::fileserving (tba)
FTP, HTTP, SMB, NFS, SSH/SFTP servers: everything that provides file (system)
access over network

* use::downloading
All programs that are able to download files from a "use::fileserving"-tagged
program

* use::<descriptive-verb>ing, (use::remotefileaccess for now) (tba)
FTP, WebDAV, SFTP, SMB clients that fully use the read and write capabilities of
the file server (Implies: use::downloading)

Of course, the tags could also be like
use::files:sharing
use::files:serving
use::files:downloading
use::files:remoteaccess

Examples:

* fooFTP
protocol::ftp
use::remotefileaccess

* wget
protocol::http
protocol::ftp
use::downloading

* barTorrent
protocol::bittorrent (tba)
use::filesharing

* openssh-client
protocol::ssh
protocol::sftp
use::remotefileaccess

* Mozilla IceWeasel
protocol::http
protocol::ftp
use::browsing
use::downloading

best regards

Torsten

[1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debtags-devel/2005-November/000955.html
- --
Torsten Marek <shlomme at gmx.net>
ID: A244C858 -- FP: 1902 0002 5DFC 856B F146  894C 7CC5 451E A244 C858
Keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net