[Debtags-devel] Protocols patch, complete

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sat Nov 19 12:57:08 UTC 2005

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 10:45:12AM +0100, Torsten Marek wrote:

> > Tag: protocol::oscar
> > Tagging-hints:
> >  Please consider tagging your package with works-with::im:licq
> >  or works-with::im:aim
> I think this could be handled via "Implies:", but I have to admit, to my own
> shame, that I don't know whether this is actually handled by libtagcoll or only
> a comment in the tagset.
> In this case, works-with::im:{aim,icq} would imply protocol::oscar.

Implies is currently totally ignored by libtagcoll.  The reason is that
I feel that it's better to do all this automatic tag inference in the
autodebtag script, and to provide clients with a nice and complete tag
database.

> Apart from that, I agree with you that we should keep the tagging info apart
> from the description itself. Again, my knowledge about the internals of
> libtagcoll is too limited, and I don't know how much work it would be to include
> a further info fields.

All unknown fields are just ignored, so you can type in anything you
like.

> > Yeah, I really prefer this idea, because it make the information
> > available for the tagging tools.
> Exactly, and it hides the information from the normal users that just want to
> know about a tag.

I like it too!  We could call the field just "Hints:".

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>