[voc] games::arcade RFC

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Fri Nov 25 15:44:27 UTC 2005

Hello,

I recently had a look at the mame sites and figured out our game tags
are kind of incomplete.  For example, long time ago I choose 'arcade' to
categorise those kind of action games, while I see, for example,
www.kemuland.com/mame.php uses something more detailed: 'shoot-em-up',
'beat-em-up', 'platform', 'sport', 'wrestling', 'action game', 'gun
game', 'adventure', 'table game', 'puzzle game'.

While we don't have games in Debian for all these categories, it might
be cute to split games::arcade into something more specific:

  games::shoot-em-up
    airstrike, geki2, geki3, grande...

  games::sport
    battleball, slune, trophy

After that, we start being a big crowded and some tags would still
outline games with similarities, so we could do grouping:
 - action games (shoot-em-up, platforms, sport, adventure...)
 - strategy games (game::strategy)
 - puzzle games (game::tetris, game::puzzle)
 - table games (game::board, game::card)
 - simulation games (game::simulation)
 - toys

The result would be something like this:

  game::TODO - Need an extra tag

  game::action:adventure - Adventure
  game::action:mud - MUDs, MOOs, and other multiplayer RPGs
  game::action:platform - Platform
  game::action:rpg - Role-playing and adventure games
  game::action:rogue - Rogue-Like RPG games (Nethack, Angband etc.)
  game::action:shoot-em-up - Shoot-em-up
  game::action:sport - Sport

  game::learn - Learning games
  game::learn:typing - Typing tutors

  game::puzzle - Puzzle
  game::puzzle:tetris - Tetris

  game::simulation - Simulation games

  game::strategy - Strategy games

  game::table - Board games
  game::table:card - Card games
  game::table:chess - Chess

  game::toys - Toy and Gimmick
  game::toys:demos - Demo programs

As I'm not that big of a gamer, I'd like to have a little of discussion
before saying "I'll do this wednesday".

If we don't have any big gamers in the list don't worrry: if nothing
useful comes out here I can post in a larger list like debian-devel.

Ciao,

Enrico proudly giving the [voc] subject tag proposal a drive :)

--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at debian.org>