[Debtags-devel] [RFC] mailing list organisation

Peter Rockai me at mornfall.net
Fri Nov 25 18:36:16 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 04:26:59PM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 01:24:46PM -0500, Benjamin Mesing wrote:
>
> > > So, to cut it short into something practical, in a couple of days I'll
> > > remove the [debtags-devel] subject tag unless someone needs it.
> > It has the advantage, of being able to see wish ML was sent to (on the
> > quick glance). E.g. I collect libapt-front-announce, libapt-front-devel
> > and Debtags-devel in the same folder.
> > But then its nothing too important to me.
>
> Ehi, that's a good idea filtering them all to the same mailbox.  That's
> never occurred to me and now I do the same.
>
> In theory, since debtags-devel is the one with more traffic, removing
> the subject tag in that one still leaves the subjects to be non
> ambiguous.  We'll see what happens if the need arises to remove the
> subject tag in one of the others, but I don't see that coming anytime
> soon.
>
> Maybe we could support this merged-list idea officially somehow.  Well,
> now I do the same, so I'm sure I'll keep this need in mind :)

The idea isn't completely new, but it's easier to carry out on say foo
and foo-devel, where -devel gets [devel] tag by the software... We
however have several subjects here, that's why i didn't propose this,
as it's a bit awkward IMO. Especially libapt-front has a big long
name, which makes it a bit impractical. However, something like

[af-svn] [af-dev] [dt-svn] [dt-dev] [dt-voc]

or a variation thereof *could* work... Currently, we get svn mail for
libapt-front to -devel, which is a bit suboptimal in this case,
too. Anyhow, for starters, [af-dev] and [dt-dev] would IMO be good
enough, with additional [svn] for commits in the af case. Also, there
was some sort of trick like subscribing one mailinglist to another,
like debtags-devel subscribed to debtags-vocabulary. Well, just random
thoughts :).

Yours,
   Peter.

PS: Maybe we should add faceted system to the mailing lists and all
posts should be tagged appropriately </joking>.

--
Peter Rockai | me()mornfall!net | prockai()redhat!com | +421907533216