[Debtags-devel] Debtags use case

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sat Oct 15 09:26:47 UTC 2005

Sanghyeon Seo wrote:
> I had a look at Debian Wiki, and found a page listing instant
> messaging softwares, and from time to time someone adding his own
> favorites. I thought: this should be done with debtags!

To find *favourite* IM clients you also need popcon!

> http://wiki.debian.org/InstantMessaging
>
> I came up with:
> debtags search 'use::chatting && role::sw:client', or
> debtags search 'use::chatting && role::sw:client && !protocol::irc'.

This may work with the unstable version of debtags, but that hasn't
reached me yet, so I'd have to use grep on the datafile.

Remember that some chat clients (eg kopete) do IM *and* IRC.  Not
that I've ever really understood why IRC doesn't count as IM.

> What do you think?

Notice that we also have separate tags for, let's see,
 protocol::aol-messenger
 protocol::icq
 protocol::jabber
 protocol::msn-messenger
 protocol::yahoo-messenger
(what no ::gadu-gadu?)

To me this has always seemed a bit poorly-organised.  Couldn't we
have a general protocol::im tag, with sub-tags for ::im:aol,
::im:icq etc?
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)