[Debtags-devel] Tips collected while approving LOTS of tags

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Fri Oct 28 22:46:49 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 12:24:45AM +0200, Erich Schubert wrote:

> >  - "foo-data" won't probably have many tags besides
> >    "role::content:data".  Don't add other tags to it, unless one could
> >    want the "foo-data" package for some specific reaon besides using
> >    "foo".
> I don't fully agree here. Obviously it shouldn't copy the role:: or
> ui:: tags from the "parent" package, but at the same time, if you want
> to e.g. classify/group packages on your system you will want the foo
> and foo-data packages to be in the same category as far as possible.
> E.g. "enigma-data" should really be in the games section. So if I
> decide to purge all game related stuff from my system that packge is
> being selected automatically, too (yes, I know about dependencies and
> such).

Well, yes, this isn't really that big important part of tagging, since
those packages are likely to get hidden somehow anyway.

Anyway, how about this?

  "foo-data" won't probably have many tags besides "role::content:data".
  It almost surely won't have the same tags as "foo".  Just add tags if
  they are obvious (for example, if "foo" is a game, "foo-data" could be
  about games as well).

  If in doubt, don't spend time adding tags to it unless one could want
  the "foo-data" package for some specific reaon besides using "foo".

> >    For example, squirrelmail is a web application, but its main focus is
> >    mail, not HTTP, so it can go in mail::user-agent and protocol::imap.
> Well, I actually doubt that squirrelmail speaks http. It will produce
> http output, and use the CGI interface, but not do http itself.

My point here: it shouldn't be tagged protocol::http :)

I've seen that some people add protocol::http to web applications in
general (all the things in the egroupware suite had one, for example).

Probably the reason was that HTTP is the way you connect to them, and
they touch HTTP a bit (like, sending proper Content-type headers).  But
by all means it should NOT have protocol::http just for that.  Else,
we'd add protocol::ip to all network applications :)

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>