[Debtags-devel] Two new tags?

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 14:21:18 UTC 2005

Hi,
> 1) define "suite" (this is where we started)

Why? ;-)

> 2) the cut-off point should be higher.

Why? An UI can still ignore stuff with less than 10 packages if it wants to!

> Indeed, by rejecting my random-sample suite::abiword you've
> demonstrated that you agree with me that we *shouldn't* have tags
> for self-proclaied "suites" with slightly over five members.

I'm not entirely opposed to abiword, except that it doesn't have 5
application packages.
(I'm not counting role::data and role::documentation packages, which
should be hidden by an UI anyway, so abiword would fall below the
5-packages treshold then)
Abiword is currently only one application (with some variants and plugins)

> Maybe.  Would we want them tagged "suite::kde suite::koffice" or
> "suite::kde:office"?

The latter would suggest that suite::kde is a group with the current
use of the single column. That is misleading; you would need to tag
them suite::kde:everything then.

> Ah, it's webdeveloper jargon; it would never have occurred to me to

Well, it's very very common jargon, actually.

> call these a "suite".  You can't expect me to be any help tagging
> the right things (would every single package tagged suite::apache
> also be in suite::lamp?  How about all the linux-source packages?),

I don't know. I'm just bringing up random stuff that might be useful.
I hate PHP.

> so what's your plan for getting all the appropriate packages tagged?
I don't have one. I didn't follow the "should we add a lamp meta
package" discussion either.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\