[Debtags-devel] Uploading new debtags packages

Peter Rockai (mornfall) me at mornfall.net
Thu Sep 8 19:56:03 UTC 2005

On Thursday 08 September 2005 13:17, Benjamin Mesing wrote:
> Hello Again,
Hi,

> > Benjamin, when this is unblocked and the new debtags toolchain is up, I
> > want to help you port packagesearch to the new API.
>
> Ok, I am back online. So I can proceed with working on packagesearch.
> Could you please elaborate what are the changes done on the debtags
> libraries?
> I noticed from one of your statements, that libdebtags is considered to
> be deprecated. So it would probably make sense to switch to libaptfront
> immidiately. However I have concerns regarding the startup time/memory
> usage of packagesearch. In the long run, I am planning to use
> libaptfront even for the apt plugin, but currently the apt plugin reads
> the package database once. Will the new libaptfront do also read the
> package database? Will it hold this in the memory. Currently I want to
> access the tag database only.
Apt-front does not open apt cache if you don't ask for it. You should be able
to use the string-only variant of the debtags functions without touching apt
database at all. The "normal" debtags interface is now however based on
apt-front's notion of Package (entity::Package), so you will eventually want
to let apt-front handle the apt cache.
> And please point me to any location where I can find documentation
> regarding the porting and regarding libaptfront.
Now, this will be a slight problem. There is no "porting" doc because well, we
so far did all the porting on the fly. There is some libapt-front
documentation in the source (doxygen style, it reminds me i should update the
copy that's pointed to from http://libapt-front.alioth.debian.org). Your best
bet is to browse the sources for now though. It should be quite easy to grasp
(well, i have tried at least), also look at utils/apt-cat.cpp in apt-front
source to get the idea how it looks like. If you only want to use the string
based subset of debtags functionality, we will come up with some docu a wee
bit later, currently too much work in progress.

However: we are hacking on the thing with Enrico right now and we're trying to
get the debtags component useful as soon as possible. This means, it is not
there yet right now. Either of us will keep you updated with the status.

Yours,
    Peter.

--
Peter Rockai | me()mornfall!net | prockai()redhat!com | +421907533216