[Debtags-devel] use::development

Justin B Rye jbr at edlug.org.uk
Sat Sep 10 13:20:09 UTC 2005

Enrico Zini wrote:
>> The devel:: facet is already effectively a use::devel: subsystem, so
>> a generic use::development would be somewhat redundant... [...]
> But when one looks inside 'use', the facet does not have a 'developing'
> tag,

There's an argument for shifting all the developer tags down into
use::devel, though that would leave the admins out in the cold.

> while that is indeed one of the main activities people do with
> Debian.  I wouldn't mind adding it, for completeness sake.  Then maybe
> later on we can decide to graft the devel:: tags inside use::developing.
>
> So, uhm, I'd be in favour of adding use::developing actually.

A general problem with redundant tags is that they provide more
opportunity for things to get out of sync in either of two
directions:

a) The use::devel tag which should automatically accompany devel::*
	tags is patchily implemented.

b) Packages which would otherwise have been tagged with a specific
	devel:: tag are lazily tagged just as use::devel.

Either way, the result is that packages that should be classified as
similar end up with meaningless differences.
--
JBR
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)