[Debtags-devel] First packaging issue for the new comaintainance team

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Mon Sep 12 11:49:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 11:42:30AM +0000, Thaddeus H. Black wrote:

> and an old tomato at me and to ignore me.  My question is, if libtool is
> causing this mess, then must we use libtool and the other autotools?
> What would happen if we didn't?
> (If the answer were, "It's complicated, but I don't think that it would
> be a good idea to abandon libtool," then I could accept the answer
> without further explanation.)

Rather than libtool, the problem is "what do we want to do", that is,
what is the right way of packaging this.  Once we know that, libtool is
just a tool that may or may not do the job.

However, autotools and libtool are taking care of so many tricky issues
that I'd rather avoid giving up with them and do everything by hand:
that everything risks being a crazy big lot of headaches.

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>